2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound. We have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. We wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. It has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with the unrelenting commitment of Ortofon to provide the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
The 2M series of cartridges feature Ortofon’s trademark split pole pins, an invention that enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response, as with a moving coil cartridge. Split pole pins were invented by Ortofon, and were originally presented in the 500 series and Super OM series.
The 2M Blue uses an improved engine, which provides an increased output of 5.5mV.
2M Blue features a Nude elliptical diamond.
Ortofon 2M Blue MM Phono Cartrige
- Output voltage at 1000Hz, 5cm/sec.: 5.5 mV
- Channel balance at 1kHz: 1.5 dB
- Channel separation at 1kHz: 25 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
- Frequency range at -3dB: 20-25,000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz +2/-1 dB
- Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 μm
- Compliance, dynamic lateral: 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude Elliptical
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 8/18 µm
- Tracking force range: 1.6-2.0 g (16-20 mN)
- Tracking force recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1.3 kOhm
- Internal inductance: 700 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
- Cartridge weight: 7.2 g
- Replacement stylus unit: 2M Blue