Ortofon 2M Black
2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound. We have optimized the design for ease of mounting the cartridge, weight and size to fit the most common turntables at the market today.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. We wanted a modern name that would be easy to pronounce and to remember, and therefore an alpha numerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet.
The 2M Black is the new moving magnet flagship from Ortofon. The 2M black is graced with a Shibata diamond stylus – the same diamond as on the acclaimed MC Jubilee. Its slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the groove walls and ensures notably detailed reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information. Users of the 2M Black will enjoy the benefit of impeccable sound quality, along with reduced record & stylus wear and reduced distortion and phase error as a result of the diamond’s improved tracking geometry.
The cartridge body used for the 2M Black is manufactured from a newly-developed Lexan DMX Piano Black, a revolutionary material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances. The 2M Black uses a special upgraded engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire.
Ortofon 2M Black MM Phono Cartridge
- Output voltage at 1000Hz, 5cm/sec. : 5 mV
- Channel balance at 1kHz : 1 dB
- Channel separation at 1kHz : 26 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz : 15 dB
- Frequency range at -3dB : 20-31,000 Hz
- Frequency response : 20-20.000 Hz +2/-0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315 Hz at recommended tracking force : 80 μm
- Compliance, dynamic lateral : 22 µm/mN
- Stylus type : Nude Shibata
- Stylus tip radius : r/R 8/40 µm
- Tracking force range : 1.4-1.7g (14-17 mN)
- Tracking force recommended : 1.5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle : 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance : 1.2 kOhm
- Internal inductance : 630 mH
- Recommended load resistance : 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance : 150-300 pF
- Cartridge weight : 7.2 g
- Replacement stylus unit : 2M Black